The ‘Uniforms’ of Local TV Stations
|Established July 12, 1930|
First season: 1930
Play in Ford Field
Headquartered in Allen Park, Michigan
|Team colors||Honolulu blue, silver|
|Fight song||Gridiron Heroes|
|Mascot||Roary the Lion|
|Owner(s)||Sheila Ford Hamp|
|Chairman||Sheila Ford Hamp|
|Head coach||Dan Campbell|
|General manager||Brad Holmes|
|League championships (4)|
|Conference championships (4)|
|Division championships (4)|
|Playoff appearances (21)|
The Detroit Lions are a professional American football team based in Detroit, Michigan. The Lions compete in the National Football League (NFL) as a member of the National Football Conference (NFC) North division. The team plays its home games at Ford Field in Downtown Detroit.
The franchise was founded in Portsmouth, Ohio as the Portsmouth Spartans and joined the NFL on July 12, 1930. Amid financial struggles, the team was relocated to Detroit in 1934. The team was also renamed the Lions in reference to the city's Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise, the Tigers.
The Lions enjoyed their greatest successes before the Super Bowl era, winning four NFL Championship Games between 1935 and 1957. Since their 1957 championship, the team has won only a single playoff game in 1992 and never advanced beyond the NFC Championship Game. They are the oldest NFL team to not appear in the Super Bowl, as well as the only franchise operational for the entirety of the Super Bowl era and the only NFC team not to appear.
- "Detroit Lions Team Facts". ProFootballHOF.com. NFL Enterprises. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Detroit Lions statement regarding rebranding". DetroitLions.com. NFL Enterprises. February 1, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Lions Visual Identity" (PDF). 2020 Detroit Lions Media Guide. NFL Enterprises. August 17, 2020. Retrieved November 26, 2020.
On Feb. 1, 2017 the Lions once again updated the team's logo and typeface as part of a rebranding initiative that also included four new uniform options. The updated logo and typeface includes the removal of black from the brand identity, emphasizing the team's class color combination of Honolulu blue and silver that has been synonymous with the Detroit Lions since 1934.
- "Detroit Lions Team Capsule". 2020 Official National Football League Record and Fact Book. NFL Enterprises. August 17, 2020. Retrieved October 18, 2020.
- "Martha Firestone Ford to step down as principal owner of Detroit Lions". DetroitLions.com. NFL Enterprises. June 23, 2020. Retrieved June 25, 2020.
- Barnett, C. Robert (1980). "THE PORTSMOUTH SPARTANS" (PDF). Professional Football Researchers Association. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- Caldwell, Dave (February 1, 2019). "Meet The NFL Team That Might Never Make It To A Super Bowl". Forbes. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- Carroll, Charlotte (February 3, 2019). "What Teams Have Never Won the Super Bowl?". SI.com. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- Barringer, Daisy (January 2, 2019). "21 Football Facts to Fake Your Super Bowl Street Cred". Eventbrite. Retrieved January 10, 2019.