How to Make a Profitable Small Business (From Your Passion)
Customer delight is surprising a customer by exceeding his or her expectations and thus creating a positive emotional reaction. This emotional reaction leads to word of mouth. Customer delight directly affects sales and profitability of a company as it helps to distinguish the company and its products and services from the competition. In the past customer satisfaction has been seen as a key performance indicator. Customer satisfaction measures the extent to which the expectations of a customer are met (compared to expectations being exceeded). However, it has been discovered that mere customer satisfaction does not create brand loyalty nor does it encourage positive word of mouth.
Customer delight can be created by the product itself, by accompanied standard services and by interaction with people at the front line. The interaction is the greatest source of opportunities to create delight as it can be personalized and tailored to the specific needs and wishes of the customer. During contacts with touch points in the company, more than just customer service can be delivered. The person at the front line can surprise by showing a sincere personal interest in the customer, offer small attentions that might please or find a solution specific to particular needs. Those front-line employees are able to develop a relationship between the customer and the brand. Elements in creating motivated staff are: recruiting the right people, motivating them continuously and leading them in a clear way.
- Gross, Scott (2004). Positively Outrageous Service. How to delight and astound your customers and win them for life. USA: Dear Born Trade Publishing. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7931-8823-9.
- Seth, Rakesh Seth, Kirti (2005). Creating customer delight : the how and why of CRM. New Delhi: Response Books. p. 19. ISBN 9780761932963.
- Carlzon, Jan; [foreword by Tom Peters] (1989). Moments of truth (Repr. ed.). New York: Perennial Library. p. 2. ISBN 0060915803.
- Hsieh, Tony (2010). Delivering happiness : a path to profits, passion, and purpose (1st ed.). New York: Business Plus. pp. 144, 145. ISBN 9780446563048.
- Michelli, Joseph. The Zappos experience : 5 principles to inspire, engage, and wow. New York: McGraw-Hill. p. 136. ISBN 9780071749589.