Aerial view of Oldsmar from the east
Where Business Meets Prosperity
|• Total||10.10 sq mi (26.15 km2)|
|• Land||8.94 sq mi (23.17 km2)|
|• Water||1.15 sq mi (2.99 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,683.92/sq mi (650.13/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0288131|
Oldsmar is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 13,591. The Oldsmar name dates to April 12, 1916 when automobile pioneer Ransom E. Olds purchased 37,541 acres (151.92 km2) of land by the northern part of Tampa Bay to establish "R. E. Olds-on-the-Bay". The name was later changed to Oldsmar, then to "Tampa Shores" in 1927, and finally back to Oldsmar in 1937. Ransom Olds named some of the original streets himself, such as Gim Gong Road for Lue Gim Gong.
Oldsmar includes several parks along Tampa Bay, historic bungalows, a downtown, and a commercial area along West Hillsborough Avenue. The historical society operates a museum in Oldsmar, and the city erected a new library in 2008. It also includes a thoroughbred racetrack called Tampa Bay Downs.
In hopes of returning to the days of "Old Florida", Oldsmar's downtown is currently undergoing redevelopment efforts. Oldsmar celebrates its history every year with Oldsmar Days and Nights, including parades, car shows (featuring the Oldsmobile), and carnival rides. Notable Oldsmar businesses include the nearby Tampa Bay Downs and the production office of Nielsen Media Research.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 2, 2020.
- Cite error: The named reference
USCensusEst2019CenPopScriptOnlyDirtyFixDoNotUsewas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Oldsmar city, Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Oldsmar Historical Society - Brief History of Oldsmar